
to be an American citizen as I am today. I can't help but be emotional as I think that it was only 40+ short years ago when people were being hosed down and beaten in the streets simply for wanting to be able to drink out of the same water fountains as their white peers. (Click here for a cool video from CNN to celebrate MLK day).
Fast forward to today, when an African American takes the oath of the highest office in the land. President Obama was right when he said that it is only in America where a story like his is even remotely possible.
My favorite line of his address? "We will be judged by what we build, not by what we destroy." I felt like much of the speech was a call to action. A call to better serve our neighbors and friends through these tough times. I loved the whole thing!
I promise that I don't plan on getting political here often, but today, I just can't help it. Whether you voted for him or not, I hope that you'll feel as proud as I am. Proud that history has been made. Proud that we live in a country where peaceful transitions of power can and do exist. It's a day that I hope I'll never forget.
1 comment:
Dear Alison,
Stacie told me about your blog and I was thrilled to see such great family picture. It has been hard not knowing what is happening in your life. This is a way that I will be able to stay updated. Your Mom and Jerry Look GREAT, and your grandmother still has that most infections smile as so does you and your mom. Say "HI" to all the Molison's from me. Love, Aunt Deb
P.S. Visited you Scrapbook page, What a wonderful tribute to your dad. You are so lucky to have all those memories.
Post a Comment