Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Week 5...(a little late)...

This is my Week 5 update (even though tomorrow will mark week 6). I want to make sure I get each week posted so that I'll have all of my thoughts and memories all in one place, especially when I want to start scrapbooking everything - then I won't have to try and remember it all!

I think I'll try and post each Wednesday, which marks the last day of the week, so that I'll have a full week's worth of stuff to write about/remember. 



Obviously, I'm not showing at all, except maybe what I ate for lunch that day! :)  This week I have been feeling pretty good, except for horrible cramps. They are so painful and annoying, particularly in the middle of the night. They only seem to last about 30-40 minutes at the most, but it's a rough time when they're happening. 

When I called the doctor to find out what I could do for them, they decided that they wanted me to come in and get checked out and have some tests run. If you know me at all, you know that I *hate* going to the doctor, so going 3 times last week was enough to drive me right over the edge. 

On my first visit (Wednesday), I met Dr. Wallace, who was super nice and really reassuring. She didn't think that there was anything really wrong (except that I probably have an "overactive uterus". I told her I've had that since I was 12, lol!), but decided to run some bloodwork and send me for an ultrasound the following day. 

At my ultrasound appointment on Thursday, they did 2 different ones and saw the gestational sac and thought they saw the yolk sac, but it was a little too early to tell (I was only measuring 4 weeks, 4 days at that time). I also got to meet Dr. Love, who was awesome. Since they couldn't see a whole lot, he ordered another blood test to check to see if my hcg levels had doubled and another ultrasound for the following week to see if they could find a heartbeat. He more or less ruled out an ectopic pregnancy, which is was they were initially worried about with the cramps. 

I went on Friday for my second round of bloodwork and had the results by that afternoon! On Wednesday, my levels were a little over 2,900 and by Friday, they were 6,058! So that was some really good and reassuring news! 

I have to admit that I was super annoyed at having to go in and do all of this, but on the bright side, at least we should know fairly soon if there is a heartbeat and if this is a viable pregnancy, much earlier than we would otherwise. 

Thoughts this week: having moments of not really believing that this is actually happening, coupled with thoughts of "why did I do this?" when I'm having such bad cramps that I want to throw up, lol! Also, I've been peeking online at some different baby things, even though I know it's still super early. You know me....I always need a list going to keep myself feeling organized.

Randy and I have also talked briefly about names and realized that we don't agree on much, especially with boy names!  

How I'm feeling: Started off the week with just having cramps and having to go to the bathroom a ton, but over the last few days I have been feeling a little off, especially in the morning/early afternoon. It reminds me of feeling a little hungover, just without the sickness. It seems like even after I eat breakfast, I am almost immediately hungry again and if I don't get something more substantial in my stomach, then I'll feel nauseous. I've been trying to spread my normal lunch out a little longer so that I have more in my stomach over a longer period of time. So far, it seems to keep the yucky stomach away. 

I'm also noticing a definite lack of energy and feeling more tired and sluggish. I seem to be much better in the morning, which is a first for me. :) I'm also having a hard time getting into any sort of workout routine - just don't feel up to it at all. I am still going to my trainer once a week and will continue to keep that up for as long as I can. 

And lastly, I've started experiencing a bit of indigestion after dinner this week. Just a feeling of being very, very full even though I haven't necessarily eaten too much. It seems to wear off after an hour or so and doesn't bother me too much, just a little uncomfortable. Also feeling really thirsty and drinking tons of water and chocolate milk. 




Here is this week's food/baby size comparison: apparently, we are at the size of a sesame seed and this baby resembles a tadpole more than a human! It's unbelievable that there is already a heart that is beating. So cool. 

I also made a pregnancy album this week. I'll take pictures and post them -  I think it turned out super cute!

No comments: